Friday, February 5, 2010

Rising Phoenix Adventures-Bikes and Kayaks

Friday, February 5, the sun streams in the windows this morning as I open the day/night shades. I feel better already just seeing the sun after so many days of rain. I sip my coffee and read The Klondike. All of a sudden I realize that after only 45 minutes the sky has completely clouded over again. The wind is blowing from the north and blew in some clouds. It stays that way until late afternoon when the sun returns. Bob got up about 10 minutes too late to see the sun.

We are both in a funk about the readout of our bathroom scale over the past two weeks. Finally Bob snaps and investigates--the battery for the digital readout is almost dead so we are getting up and down readings. At least that's our story and we're sticking to it. We get a number off the battery and hope to pick one up in town later. Then we'll have no excuses. It seems to me whoever engineers these things should just have the battery go dead instead of giving false readings. A person could get depressed; especially if the sun hasn't been out for a month!

After breakfast I get a wild hair and decide to rearrange two or three kitchen cabinets. I need a taller empty shelf for my sugar, flour, etc. cannisters. So I make a two-tiered shelf above the sink smaller and make a taller space up there. This shoves my pots and pans closer together and makes it harder to get them in and out. I also can't find room for a big plastic bowl I dislodged. Oh well, I'll try this for a while. I can always put it back the way it was.

At last I take a walk (my darn neuroma flares up after being good for a week while I wasn't walking) and I come back home to stretch. We get cleaned up. Bob loads his bike on the back of Big Bertha to take to the bike shop Steve told us about. He finds a hole in the bag over his bike seat so it is all wet from the rain.

The guy at Rising Phoenix Adventures (Bicycle repair and Kayak rentals) across from Lost Pines State Park gives us an estimate for Bob's rear spoke and a bearing on his front fork. He asks how we heard of him and we told him it was our neighbor Steve. We'll check back on Monday.

Gracie's for lunch. Big crowd there. I try Ham and Banana Pepper sandwich that Katie had. It is really good. Big slabs of country ham on a huge Kaiser roll with cream cheese dill spread, cheddar cheese, mozerella, tomato, lettuce and gob of sliced banana peppers. Bob has the Mahi-Mahi.

We stop at Walgreen's on the way home but they only have packages of two of the batteries we need for our bathroom scale. I get my contact solution and a newspaper and we go home to read and relax. Bob checks the map for a way around Houston when we leave the Coast. I work on journal pages. It's 5:32 p.m. and 54 degrees and 71% humidity; the high for the day now that the sun is out.

No comments: