Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eyeballs and Lenses

Tuesday, January 19, I woke up on a board at 7:30 a.m. It is cloudy, very warm and humid with strong winds out of the south. I got a kick out of my friend Jean yesterday when she called the recent cold front Manitoba Mauler." We still don't have an email response from the RV stabilizer guy. Glenda sent me her friend's address so after breakfast I walked to the mailbox with a thank you card for her and a birthday card for my brother Jeff. I came back home to stretch. Then we got cleaned up and at 11:30 we head to Austin.

We have lunch at Mimi's on MoPac. It has been a while since we've been near a Mimi's. We shared Bob's blueberry muffin and took my buttermilk spice muffin home. Bob had the Asian Salad and I tried their new Country Brie Salad (apples, cranberries, pistachios, grilled chicken, balsamic vinaigrette and fried brie croutons.

After lunch we head across MoPac to Gateway Shopping Center to check out digital photo frames at Best Buy. We ran out of time and headed south on MoPac to 2222. We stopped at the ATM at our bank across the street and then on to the eye doctor. We both filled out paperwork, browsed the eyeglass frames and then they called me in about 20 minutes later than my scheduled appointment. All goes well. It is great to see Dr. M, my friend Anne-Marie's younger brother. I worked with her downtown when we first moved to Austin oh so many years ago. Dr. M was at Big Bend tent camping with his wife and three kids for a week at Christmas. He said it was gorgeous and they had snow one morning. He recommends both eye doctors at their location in Burnet if we decide to stop in out there while we're in Lampasas. And he rotates out there every six weeks.

I'm done and he very generously waives all co-pays. I head to the optical center to order contacts and glasses. This could get expensive. At least our health plan gives me a 20% discount on the contacts and pays for a portion of the frames and lenses. It should be delivered in two weeks. Bob finally emerges after his first visit with Dr. M. His eyes have just been dilated; mine have had a change to calm down so I drive home at 4:30. Traffic is heavy and I'm glad Bob suggested we stop on the way this morning to get a paper.

We're home by 5:30 and have some leftovers and read the paper. It's 7:58 p.m. and 69 degrees.

No comments: